At Ignite conference last year, Microsoft first announced Operations Management Suite. Operations Management Suite (OMS) is Microsoft’s cloud-based IT management solution that helps you manage and protect your on-premises and cloud infrastructure. Since OMS is implemented as a cloud-based service, you can have it up and running quickly with minimal investment in infrastructure services. Today at Ignite 2016, Microsoft is announcing an expanded set of services designed for a unified approach to core management:
- Insight & Analytics: Gain visibility across your workloads, giving you all the information needed on what’s happening in your environment. Insight and Analytics includes log collection and search, application and server dependency mapping, as well as network health monitoring. Releases this week include:
- New application and service monitoring capabilities for Azure SQL, MySQL, and VMware hosts
- Connector for Application Insights enabling integrated application and workload analytics
- Azure activity log search
- New ingestion APIs for expanded data and log collection
- Automation & Control: Enable consistent control and compliance for Azure, third-party clouds and on-premises datacenters. Automation and Control includes services to assist with process automation, desired state configuration, change tracking and new update management capabilities, as well as hybrid runtime.
- Enhanced Update Management features including insights into time estimates as well as sequencing of updates needed to keep Windows Server and Linux systems up-to date
- Change tracking enhanced with granular file-based tracking to support Windows Server and Linux environments
- Security & Compliance: Drive security across your hybrid environment. Security and Compliance delivers instant insight into security vulnerabilities, uses advanced analytics to detect threats, and offers built-in threat intelligence and rapid search of security data to enable rapid investigation.
- Azure Security Center availability as part of Operations Management Suite
- Expanded security data ingestion using Common Event Format, including new Cisco ASA
- New behavioral analytics designed to detect insider threats and attempts that persist within a compromised system
- Protection & Recovery: Ensure availability of important applications and data. Protection and Recovery helps you keep critical data protected through integrated cloud backup, and applications available, while minimizing the impact of disruptions to the business. Including both Backup and Site Recovery, the service provides an integrated experience for customers.
- Expanded Linux and VMware backup and recovery support
- Integrated monitoring with Log Analytics, including Site Recovery capacity planning
Microsoft is now offering two new subscription options.
- Operations Management Suite E1 includes Insight & Analytics and Automation & Control, and
- Operations Management Suite E2 includes everything in E1 and adds both Security & Compliance and Protection & Recovery services.
- Both E1 and E2 include subscription rights to System Center.
Microsoft is also offering pay-as-you-go options for each service, also with aligned System Center components.