Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
Kano is an edu-tech company that aims to teach children about computing and coding via hands-on hardware devices.
The company has just announced its latest product – a build-your-own Windows computer for creative learning that costs less than $300.
The Kano PC is an 11.6” touch-enabled, Intel Atom powered tablet/laptop that runs Windows 10 in S mode and comes with a suite of creative and coding tools, and which is designed to be assembled by the students themselves.
Students will follow a step-by-step storybook to connect the parts, which light up when connected properly, before closing it with a transparent case.
The Kano PC provides tools to demystify technology, and includes a ‘How Computers Work’ experience, an app that lets you create emojis with binary code, tinker with touch and sound, and play with the processor and memory, learning exactly what your computer is doing when you tap keys, talk into the mic, or touch the screen.
See the device in action below:
The Kano PC also comes with:
- Make Art – Learn to code high-quality images in Coffeescript
- Kano App – Make almost anything, including magic effects and adventurous worlds, with simple steps and programming fundamentals
- Paint 3D – Make and share 3D models and send them out for printing
- Minecraft: Education Edition – The award-winning creative game-based learning platform
- Microsoft Teams – To get new projects and content, and share your work
- Kano Projects – Personalized projects on coding and creativity delivered directly to your dashboard
Kano and Microsoft are supporting the PC’s content experience with hundreds of hours of curriculum, which lets anyone introduce computer science in the classroom in a simple and fun way.
By running Windows 10 in S mode, and being pre-loaded with optimized software and parent/teacher dashboards – the Kano PC offers a safe creative playground for both school and home.
The Kano PC also connects you to the free, online community, Kano World, where you can make, share, and play, in a safe space with hundreds of thousands of makers in 150 countries, who have posted more than a million real applications, and written over 70 million lines of code.
The Kano PC is available for pre-order now, for $299.99 USD / £299.99 GBP on Kano.me and Microsoft Store, and will go on sale worldwide at Kano.me, education resellers and selected retailers in the United States, Canada, and the UK starting October 21st, 2019.