Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
Is your iPhone screen not working but phone is on? iPhone display issues can be caused by hardware, software, third-party apps, and incompatible accessories. Read on as I explain various DIY methods to fix this.
Let’s get started!
Why Is Your iPhone Screen Not Working?
According to my experience, here are the most common reasons behind this problem:
- A minor bug in the recent iOS update
- A temporary hardware or device memory or display issue
- The iPhone screen broke due to physical or water damage
- There might be a program issue in the iOS firmware
- Dirt or grease on the iPhone display sensors
- The Side button or the Sleep/Wake button isn’t working.
iPhone Screen Not Working but Phone Is On – Fixes
Follow the steps below in this order to resolve the problem with ease:
Solution 01: Press on the Device Carefully
Before attempting this method, make sure your iPhone is turned off. This can help prevent any accidental actions on the screen or potential damage. Then, do the following:
- Use your fingers to apply even pressure on the device on the back and near the camera.
- Also, press carefully along the device screen edges or the bezel.
Don’t apply excessive force on the device. This method aims to identify if a loose connection between the PCB and the display screen is the root cause.
If pressing on the phone temporarily resolves the screen issue, it’s a device hardware problem. You can’t do much by following software-based troubleshooting. Take the iPhone to the nearest Apple authorized service center.
Solution 02: Clean the iPhone Display
If grease and dirt cover the display sensor near the top speaker, your iPhone will show a black screen when you access it. Gently clean the top edge of your display screen to get rid of this temporary problem.
Solution 03: Clean the Side Button
Over time, dust, lint, or other debris may accumulate around the side button. Here’s how you can clean it:
- Use a small, soft brush (such as a clean, dry toothbrush) to gently sweep away any visible dust or debris around it.
- Alternatively, use a can of compressed air to blow away any particles that may be lodged in the crevices around the button.
Solution 04: Restart the iPhone Using Siri
Since the screen isn’t working, you can restart the iPhone with Siri:
- Press the Side or Sleep/Wake button on your iPhone.
- If Face ID was activated before the screen issue, it should unlock the device.
- Say, “Hey, Siri.”
- When you get a reply, say, “Power Off.”
- Now, press the Side button once to start the device.
- Do you see the Apple logo? If yes, you’ve successfully resolved the issue.
Solution 05: Stop or Uninstall Faulty Apps
Is the iPhone screen not working right after installing a third-party app? Follow these steps:
- Swipe up on the screen. This should open the App Switcher on the iPhone.
- Now, swipe up from the middle of the iPhone screen to close all the opened apps.
- Continue doing this until you’ve stopped the problematic third-party app.
Solution 06: Disconnect All Accessories
Did you connect a third-party Lightning or Bluetooth accessory to the iPhone and the screen stopped working? It could be interfering with your display.
Remove all such accessories. Then, restart the iPhone and the screen should start working again.
Solution 07: Update iOS
If you haven’t updated your device’s operating system for a while, your device might be lacking hardware optimization.
Here’s how you can update an iPhone:
- Use a USB cable to connect the iPhone to a Windows or Mac computer.
- For Windows and macOS Mojave computers, you need the latest iTunes software.
- For macOS Catalina or later Macs, the Finder app is sufficient.
- Now, open the iTunes or Finder app.
- On the iTunes software, you should see a small icon of the iPhone on the toolbar. Click on it.
- On the Finder app, click on the Finder app on the Dock and go to the Locations section on the sidebar.
- Select the iPhone.
- In most cases, the PC or Mac will show the “Trust XX iPhone” message so you can authenticate the connection.
- Click the Trust button.
- When the iPhone’s dashboard opens on iTunes or Finder, click Check for Update.
This method will only work if you’ve previously synced this computer with the same iPhone.
Solution 08: Uninstall iOS Updates
According to some Apple Discussions threads, users often encountered this issue right after updates. So, what you can do is revert the iOS to the previous version.
This method involves the use of iOS SFU mode and IPSW firmware package. Try the steps mentioned in Solution 10 below.
Solution 09: Restore iPhone Using iTunes or Finder
- Turn off the iPhone using Siri.
- Connect it to a PC or Mac using a USB cable.
- Press the Volume Up button.
- Then, press the Volume Down button.
- Quickly press the Side button.
- Keep pressing the Side button until you see the recovery screen.
- iTunes or Finder app will automatically show the following screen:
- Click the Restore iPhone button.
- Follow onscreen instructions to continue.
Solution 10: Install Stock Firmware of the iPhone
- Download the appropriate stock firmware for your iPhone model from the IPSW portal.
- Enter the recovery mode on your iPhone.
- Open the iTunes or Finder app on the connected Windows or Mac computer.
- Press the Option key (for Mac) and Alt key (for Windows) and click the Restore iPhone button on the iTunes or Finder app.
- You’ll see a file browser where you’ll have to select the downloaded IPSW file.
- Now, follow the onscreen instructions to install the stock firmware.
Solution 11: Use Third-Party Software to Fix the Display
If nothing else works, you can try a third-party tool called iMyFone Fixppo. It supports a wide range of iPhone models and iOS versions. Not to mention, the software automates the troubleshooting process. Here’s how you can use this tool:
- Download and install iMyFone Fixppo from its official website. It’s available for both Windows and Mac computers.
- Once installed, run the app and click the Start Repair button.
- Click Standard Mode to fix the screen issue without losing existing iPhone data.
- Click the Download button to get the latest firmware of your device.
- Follow onscreen instructions to complete the repair process.
iMyFone Fixppo also helps you to automatically enter and exit iOS recovery mode without pressing multiple buttons on the device.
- iPhone Black Screen of Death? How to Fix Easily
- iPhone Security Lockout? 4 Ways To Unlock or Bypass It!
- Found an iPhone, How To Return It: 4 Best Methods
Is your iPhone Screen not working but phone is on even after these fixes? In that case, you must contact Apple Support and set an appointment with the nearest Apple Authorized Service center for advanced technical support. You can also try to take advantage of Apple Service Programs for free or low-cost repairs.
Did my troubleshooting ideas work for you? Do you know a better hack to deal with this issue? Do leave your feedback in the comment box.