In the latest turn of events in the “how much revenue should developers get?” discourse, Discord has today announced that not only will all game developers be able to self-publish on the Discord Store, but they’ll also get a 90% cut of the revenue.

Writing on the official Discord blog, ‘Chief Robot Hamster’ Nelly wrote that Discord had been talking to game developers and found that many of them felt as though current stores were not earning their 30% of the usual 70/30 revenue share.

This doubt among developers was leading them to dedicate far more time than necessary to creating their own stores and launchers to distribute their games instead of focusing on ‘what’s really important – making great games and cultivating amazing communities’.

This discord (pun intended) between game developers and publishing platforms lead Discord to decide that they needed to do something about it. Starting in 2019, Discord are going to extend access to the Discord Store and their ‘extremely efficient’ game patcher by releasing a self-serve game publishing platform.

Developers who self-publish on the Discord Store will earn 90% of the revenue share from their games. Discord will take the remaining 10% for operating costs. Along with this new move, they’ll also be constantly working to improve Discord itself and aim to have new features coming out in the next couple of weeks to months.

Source: Discord Blog.

Comments