KNFB Reader is a popular app for iOS and Android which enables blind and low-vision individuals to quickly and easily access the content of printed materials anywhere by taking a photo of any text and instantly reading it aloud.
The app is now also available for Windows 10 and will read aloud using any one of Microsoft’s built-in voices or can be displayed in Braille with a compatible screen reader and refreshable Braille display.
KNFB Reader “allows people who are blind and others with print disabilities to access the content of printed documents simply by photographing the document,” Lay-Flurrie says. “KNFB Reader then converts the image to text that can be read aloud in synthesised speech or output to a connected refreshable Braille display using a compatible screen reader. The technology incorporates KNFB Reader’s signature audio and vibration guidance to help the user align the camera and take the perfect image of a document so that processing is fast and accurate. It’s also the perfect desktop PC or laptop application for recognising image-based PDF files.”
The app features:
- Verbal field of view report and tilt guidance by audio or vibration feedback to help you take the perfect picture of the document discreetly and without assistance.
- Allows easy conversion of image PDF’s and other image files directly from a desktop or laptop PC, or of image files accessed through OneDrive.
- Snap a picture and analyze a document instantly with your Surface Pro4 or other Windows 10 device with a mobile camera; external camera or scanner needed for other devices.
- Integration with OneDrive and Dropbox for easy backup and sharing of images and documents between mobile and PC devices.
- Processing of single- or multi-column documents, multiple fonts, and various kinds of formatting.
- Fully integrated with Microsoft Narrator and compatible with other popular screen readers (NVDA, JAWS and Dolphin SuperNova, as well as with Microsoft text-to-speech voices. Braille support for Narrator coming soon!)
- Designed for speed and ease of use, with only four screens and lots of shortcut keys.
- The perfect desktop PC or laptop application for making image-based PDF files more accessible.
- The number of recognition languages available will vary based upon your installation of Windows. At the time of initial release only English, French, Spanish, German, Dutch, Italian, Swedish, Russian and Greek are available. This will change shortly, as rapid updates are planned.
For a limited time, only KNFB Reader for Windows 10 is available with a discount of 80% below the list price of USD 99.99. The exact pricing varies by country. The deal runs from today until the 26th July. Grab it while it lasts.
Find the app in the Windows Store here.