After the disappointment of the delayed Opera Mobile 9.5, Torch Mobile has stepped in to shed some light on their progress in bringing a webkit-based browser to the Windows Mobile platform. Their latest release, version 1.0.12 features the following improvements:
- XSLT support
- Netscape Plugin API (NPAPI)
- file:/// local filesystem browsing
- Bookmark imports from Opera and Pocket IE
- Google maps works!
- Visual history
- New list views for bookmarks and history
- Improved memory usage
- Many site fixes
- Improved iPhone emulation
- Improved error messages
- Better touch screen user interaction
- Ability to set Iris Browser as the default system browser
The browser still appears to be rather rough and basic (rather Pocket IE-like, and thats not a good thing),but appears to be slowly getting on in functionality, and probably just needs the help of an industrial designer to make it a real contender.
Download the latest preview version and see for yourself.