In the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Microsoft introduced a new dark theme into Windows 10. With the new update, users may now change their theme settings from a light mode to dark mode.
The dark theme originally was a Windows phone exclusive feature, but with many of the Univeral Windows apps in the Windows Store being either optimized for a dark theme, as well as the general demand for a dark theme from all corners, it made sense for Microsoft to add this to PCs. There are plenty of good reasons to use Dark Mode, including the fact that it is easier on the eyes when using a PC at night, as well as battery savings for some portable devices which use AMOLED screens. In the end though, it all boils down to personal preference.
Here’s how to change Windows 10 from light mode to dark mode.
- Open the Settings app either from the Start Menu, or from the Action Center Flyout on the right of the screen.
- Navigate to the “Personalisation” sub-menu.
- Click or Tap on “Colours”
- Scroll down to the bottom, there should be an option which states “Choose your app mode”. When you find it, select “Dark” (if you can’t find it, you need to update your PC to the newest version and try again).
- To revert the change and head back to blinding white, simply follow steps 1 -4 again, but this time, select “Light” instead of “Dark” at the end.