At Ignite today, Microsoft announced a new service that will help enterprise customers to migrate from on-premises to the Azure cloud. Many organizations get excited about the benefits that cloud computing offers and start their migration plan. Basic workloads can be easily moved, but moving critical parts of the infrastructure requires proper migration planning. To plan things, they need to be aware of the tight interdependencies between applications, workloads, and data. Microsoft’s new Azure Migrate service will provide the guidance, insights, and mechanisms needed to assist enterprise customers in migrating to Azure.
It offers the following,
- Discovery and assessment for on-premises virtual machines
- Inbuilt dependency mapping for high-confidence discovery of multi-tier applications
- Intelligent rightsizing to Azure virtual machines
- Compatibility reporting with guidelines for remediating potential issues
- Integration with Azure Database Management Service for database discovery and migration
During the limited preview period, Azure Migrate will offer discovery, cost analysis, and configuration recommendations for VMware-based environments. Microsoft will bring support for Hyper-V environments in the coming months.