Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
Microsoft today revealed the specific upgrades paths to Windows 10 for existing Windows and Windows Phone users. The company detailed the paths to upgrade to Windows 10 for different Windows 7/8/8.1 SKUs’ users. Here’re the upgrade paths to Windows 10:
- Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices in the first year. After the first year, upgrades will be paid via boxed product and VL Upgrades.
- Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7 Home Basic and Home Premium devices upgrade to Windows 10 Home
- Windows 8/8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate devices upgrade to Windows 10 Pro
- If upgraded within the first 12 months following launch, the device will receive ongoing Windows 10 updates for free for the life of that device
- Excludes Windows Enterprise and RT devices
- The free Windows 10 upgrade is delivered through Windows Update; domain-joined machines can manually get the update via Windows Update. The upgrade cannot be deployed through WSUS.
For those who missed it, Microsoft recently announced that the company will be offering a free upgrade to Windows 10 for Windows 7, 8/8.1 users in the first year. And after the first year, the update will be available for the regular Windows upgrade price. This will indeed help the company to get Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 10, and help to make Windows 10 the last Windows forever. Until then, if you are a Windows 7 user, are you planning to upgrade to Windows 10 once it launches?