Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
Microsoft today announced that they will be releasing the new “Microsoft Authenticator” app for iOS, Android and Windows devices on August 15th. This new app combines the features of already available authenticator apps into a single app which works with both Microsoft accounts and Azure AD accounts. So, there will be only one Microsoft Authenticator app which will serve both enterprise customers and consumers.
- User experience refresh. We’ve made the app experience incredibly simple while maintaining the highest level of security.
- Best in breed MFA experience through one-click push notifications. You only need to click the “approve” button in the notification to complete your login. (And in most cases, you won’t even need to open the app to complete the approval.)
- Support for wearables. You can use an Apple Watch or Samsung Gear device to approve MFA challenges.
- Finger prints instead of passcodes. We’ve added support finger print based approvals on both iPhone and Android.
- Certificate based authentication. Support for enterprise customers to sign in through certificates instead of passwords.
Microsoft will release this new app as an update to Azure Authenticator. And users of Microsoft account Android app will get a message prompting them to download the new app.