Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
Today Microsoft released Microsoft Edge Beta Build 96.0.1054.8 as part of their regular 4-weekly update cycle.
The Beta channel is considered to be the most stable preview channel, only releasing features well tested in the Canary and Dev version of the browser. The last major release was on 28nd September, with more minor bug fixes since.
This is the first release on Chromium 96, and brings the following new features and improvements:
- Launch Progressive Web App (PWA) directly via protocol links. Let installed PWAs handle links that use a specific protocol for a more integrated experience.
- Learn how to solve math problems with Math Solver. We’re excited to announce that you can use Math Solver in Microsoft Edge to get help with a wide range of mathematical concepts. These concepts range from elementary arithmetic and quadratic equations to trigonometry and calculus. Math Solver lets you take a picture of a handwritten or printed math problem and then provides an instant solution with step-by-step instructions to help you learn how to reach the solution without help. Math Solver also comes with a mathematical keyboard that you can use to easily type math problems. This keyboard eliminates the need to search around a traditional keyboard to find the math characters you need. After solving your problem, Math Solver provides options to continue learning with quizzes, worksheets, and video tutorials.
- Scrolling improvements for PDF documents. We’re improving scrolling performance to provide a smoother scroll experience in PDF documents. You won’t see white bars appearing during scrolling.
- Freeform highlighting on PDFs. The PDF viewing and markup experience is improved with the addition of freeform highlighters. You can highlight sections in PDFs that you don’t have access to, and scanned documents.
- Control-flow Enforcement Technology (CET). Microsoft Edge will start supporting an even safer browsing mode that uses hardware-dependent control flow for browser processes. Control flow is provided on this supported hardware: Intel 11th Gen. or AMD Zen 3. You can disable CET by configuring Image File Execution Options (IFEO) using group policy.
- New warning dialog for typosquatting sites. The browser will now show a warning on some sites with URLs that look very similar to other sites. This UI uses client-side heuristics to warn users about sites that might be spoofing popular web sites. For more information, see What is typosquatting?.
- Improved handoff between IE mode and the modern browser. Starting with this version of Microsoft Edge, navigations between Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer mode will include form data and additional HTTP headers. Referrer headers, post data, forms data, and request methods will be forwarded correctly across the two experiences. You can specify which data types should be included using the InternetExplorerIntegrationComplexNavDataTypes policy.
- Cloud Site List Management for IE mode in Public Preview. Cloud Site List Management lets you manage your site lists for IE mode in the cloud without needing an on-premises infrastructure to host your organization’s site list. You can access the Cloud Site List Management feature using the Microsoft Edge Site Lists experience in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center. To learn more, see the Cloud Site List Management for IE mode (Public Preview) article.
- Update Microsoft Edge WebWiew2 using WSUS. IT Admins using WSUS to update Microsoft Edge will also be able to update Microsoft Edge WebView2 using WSUS. This capability gives admins an easier servicing process for offline devices.
- WSUS updates for Server. WSUS and Catalog updates for Microsoft Edge channels (Stable, Beta, Dev) will now apply to Windows Server SKUs that have Microsoft Edge installed, including Windows Server 2022. For more information on how to configure WSUS updates for Microsoft Edge, see Update Microsoft Edge.
- ApplicationGuardUploadBlockingEnabled – Prevents files from being uploaded while in Application Guard.
- AudioProcessHighPriorityEnabled – Allow the audio process to run with priority above normal on Windows.
- AutoLaunchProtocolsComponentEnabled – AutoLaunch Protocols Component Enabled.
- EfficiencyMode – Configure when efficiency mode should become active.
- ForceSyncTypes – Configure the list of types that are included for synchronization.
- InternetExplorerIntegrationComplexNavDataTypes – Configure whether form data and HTTP headers will be sent when entering or exiting Internet Explorer mode.
- InternetExplorerModeToolbarButtonEnabled – Show the Reload in Internet Explorer mode button in the toolbar.
- PrintPostScriptMode – Print in PostScript Mode.
- PrintRasterizePdfDpi – Print in Rasterize PDF DPI.
- RendererAppContainerEnabled – Enable renderer in app container.
- SharedLinksEnabled – Show links shared from Microsoft 365 apps in History.
- TyposquattingCheckerEnabled – Configure Edge TyposquattingChecker.
Edge Beta can be downloaded at Microsoft here.