Microsoft’s Windows 10 Spring Creators Update has finally been made available for users to download in the Release Preview ring. This is Microsoft’s first big update this year, and it will bring long-awaited features like Timeline, Microsoft Edge improvements, Cortana improvements etc. It will most likely be rolling out over the next few weeks, so not everyone will get it at once.
The Windows 10 Spring Creator Update also promises to be one of the fastest to install, as Microsoft has made tweaks to ensure users experience minimal disruption.
“To achieve this, we moved portions of the work done during the offline phases and placed it in the online phase. Because of these changes, the average offline time for the Fall Creator’s Update released last October has dropped to 51 minutes, a 38% improvement! But we didn’t stop there. ” explained Microsoft’s Joseph Conway in a blog post ‘We’ve done additional work in the upcoming Windows release to move portions of migration operations to the online phase as well. This has resulted in an overall reduction of offline time when installing builds in the Insiders Program to an average of 30 minutes. That’s a reduction of 63% from the Creators Update!”
With the tweaks, the firm has done, installing the new Spring Creators Update should be painless and efficient, so users don’t have to worry about needing to carve out an hour or more of their time.
Method 1: Windows Insider
- Join the Windows Insider program by using the Settings app. Navigate to Settings > Update and Security >Windows Insider Program.
- Select, ‘Just fixes apps and drivers’ from the drop-down when prompted.
- Then check for updates. If you aren’t seeing anything yet, restart your PC AND then check for updates, the Windows 10 Spring Creators Update will now be available.
Method 2 (For when Microsoft rolls it out officially): Windows 10 Update Assistant.
- Microsoft provides an Update Assistant tool which can be used to fast-track your PC to the newest and most up to date version of Windows 10. You can download it from this site.
- Once downloaded, double-click the tool. It will now scan your PC and Check for the latest update.
- Windows should now be downloading the Windows 10 Spring Creators Update in the background, and it will install when ready.