Three months ago we posted about a Japanese retiree using Excel to create art, and it seems abusing the productivity app to do things it was never meant to do is actually a thing, as today we have another unbelievable example of the same.
Gamasutra community member C Bel has created a real-life 3D game created using nothing by Excel formulas.
C Bell specifically did it the hard way, by not using Visual Basic for Applications, and his creation supports:
- infinite procedural generated maze map
- real time ray tracer rendering
- occlusion calculation
- basic illumination rendering
- illumination and compute shader
- natural displacement engine
- No macro at all used by the 3D engine
See it demoed in his video below:
Being just a spreadsheet, you can download the file (including a high-resolution version sure to kill your PC) from Gamasutra here.