VoodVid is a free client for the video streaming website putlockers.ch, with an amazing UI/UX, integrated subtitle manager, background downloading capability, and video progress tracking across all your devices (it runs on PC, Mobile, Xbox, and even Hololens/Surface Hub!). It was updated to v2.0 a few weeks ago, and v2.1 has just hit the store.
So, what’s new?
- Downloads are back, and more reliable than before! However, they aren’t yet available on the Xbox One version.
- The soft navigation bar on devices like the Lumia 950 shouldn’t hide the app any more.
- Is a video really bad quality? VoodVid will warn you.
- Bug fixes, bug fixes, and more bug fixes.
But so what was the deal with v.2.0?
Previously, the app relied on the website “vodlocker.com”. However, the admins can’t figure out how to keep their site running, and it was getting horribly unstable and unreliable (It was completely offline for almost a week!). Instead of relying on them, the app now shows videos from putlockers.ch, which meant changing about 40% of the app’s code (so please excuse the occasional hiccup).
However, that change came with a ton of benefits, including:
- Precise info about each video.
- One page now corresponds to an entire show, and not a single episode, making things way more ergonomic.
- Choose the video quality! You aren’t limited to a miserable 360P like before.
- Major parts of the UI/UX were redesigned.
- A ton more changes, but as I wrote the changelog in a rush (the update needed to go out as fast as possible), I didn’t take note of all of them. Check out the new features yourself!