Mobiletechworld have posted this video comparing the GPS Navigation app Nokia Drive, found on the Nokia Lumia devices, with the free Google Navigation app which comes with most Android handsets.
Unfortunately the Nokia Drive app does not come of very well from the comparison, with MTW noting it is missing:
- No remaining time until arrival displayed during navigation (itâ€™s only noted during 5 secs on summery screen before the navigation starts)
- No Directions breakdown list: Even Bing Maps and Nokia Maps have it.
- POIs are useless: You canâ€™t tap on them
- No way to save or favorite a location: only recent destinations/searches are automatically saved in a history list that can be manually cleared
- No traffic data, No Public Transit Data
- No way to have more than one itinerary unless you stop/cancel the current one and manually re-calculate another one
- Requires an active Data connection to do the routing calculation even-though it has offline maps loaded on the device
Of course we know Nokia was in a major rush in getting their apps and phone ready for a fall release, and have already promised one update. I am sure more are to come, but Nokia Drive is already good enough to stop Lumia owners from having to shell out for Navigon, which is really what matters in the end.
Read more at MobileTechWorld here.