Windows 7 is the most popular OS in the world and its mainstream support is ending tomorrow, Jan 13 2015.
What does it really mean?
- After the end of mainstream support, Windows 7 will be under Extended Support period.
- Extended Support ends Jan.14, 2020. Yes, another five years.
- During this period, Microsoft will continue to release security updates to all users.
- The only difference is that Microsoft will not release any new features as part of updates.
- Microsoft will not release reliability and stability updates fixes too. However, enterprise organizations who have contracts like Software Assurance with Microsoft can have these updates.
What consumers should do?
- Consumers are recommended to upgrade their systems to latest OS from Microsoft which is Windows 8.1.