Microsoft today released a new build of Windows 10 Mobile to Windows Insiders: Build 14327. Unlike the last Insider build, the latest build does not include a lot of new features or improvements, but it includes some nice new improvements and bug fixes. The update introduces the new App Add-ons page which we reported about earlier this week, as well as the new Insider settings, Store update notifications, and much more.
The update also introduces the new Messaging Experience Preview, and Cortana in more languages.
Here is the what’s new:
Try out the Messaging Everywhere Preview
You can now try out the preview of the “Messaging everywhere” feature in Windows 10 that allows you to send and receive text messages from your phone directly from your Windows 10 PC’s.
To enable this:
- Make sure you are signed in with your Microsoft Account (MSA).
- On your phone – make sure “Send texts on all my Windows devices” is turned on.
- On your PC – make sure you have chosen which phone to send messages through. You do this in the settings of the Messaging app on your PC (screenshot above).
Try it out and less us know what you think via the Feedback Hub.
NOTE: You may have noticed that Skype integration in the Messaging app in this build of Windows 10 Mobile has been removed. This is so Skype can streamline your experience, replacing the integration with the Skype UWP Preview app for mobile in an upcoming build. In the meantime, you can use the existing Skype for Windows Phone app available in the Windows Store.
Cortana in more languages
With this build, we are enabling Cortana for the Spanish (Mexico), Portuguese (Brazil) and French (Canada) languages for Mobile (available previously in PC builds). If you’re running the Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview in these languages – give Cortana a try and let us know what you think. For each new market and language, the Cortana Team works to develop a custom experience that is relevant in each individual market and language. These are early versions that we will continue improve based on your feedback and we look forward to hearing more from you.
Voice input is also now available for these languages. Set focus to a text field and tap the microphone above the keyboard to give it a try.
Here are the bug fixes:
- We fixed the issue causing Language and Speech packs to fail to download.
- We fixed the issue where in some cases your phone’s screen may not turn on and become unresponsive and Windows Hello stops working if you used the power button to lock/unlock your phone quickly.
- We fixed the issue where in some cases, users might get in a state where neither space or enter are working on the keyboard.
- We fixed the issue causing Facebook Messenger and other apps like WeChat, Transfer My Data, and UC Browser from failing to launch from Start or All apps.
- We fixed an issue where diverse emoji couldn’t be deleted from the text box in an interactive notification.
- We have updated the autocorrection logic, so you can now abort an autocorrection by tapping on the bolded word.
- We have updated the Glance screen so it will now reflect Ease of Access text scaling.
- We fixed an issue where tethering over Bluetooth wouldn’t work if Bluetooth had never been turned on before.
- We fixed an issue where you couldn’t set a sample image as a lock screen background.
Discuss what you think of the latest build in the comment section below. Happy downloading! 🙂