A new version of SurfCube, supporting Mango features and much more, should be available in the marketplace by the end of next week! Watch the video embedded above to see the new features in action.
We previously reported on Beta 1 of SurfCube, but the developer just released Beta 2 which features some newÂ speed, reliability, and interface improvements! Here are the cumulative new changes you can expect in the final version of SurfCube for Mango:
- A new skinny bottom menu (just like in the People Hub), which features quick access to Tabs, URL Entry, Orientation Lock, and Settings, along with other options for sharing the current website and more. This menu is perfect if you do not like using the swipe, flick, or joystick controls to navigate the browser. The slim design also reduces the space the bar takes while still keeping the Tabs button one touch away.
- Background Tabs – Open a web portal, like Engadget. Tap and hold on the page, select Page from the new context menu, and set â€œOpen Linksâ€ to background and new tabs. See how easy it is to select the articles you are interested in and make them load in the background, while you are still parsing the article list? SurfCube remembers this setting on a page-by-page basis. You may want to turn on the quick tabs for this one.
- Multitasking â€“ quit the app, do something else and return, see how fast it is.
- Pin all your open tabs to your start screen (you can find the pin button on the top face of the cube) (Perfect for opening your three favorite websites at once)
- The clock and connection status is now visible on the top face.
- Fixed some crash issues and bugsÂ from Beta 1.
- Speed improvements over Beta 1 (entering a URL/clicking a favorite loads far faster than before)
- Closing lots of tabs at the same time is a little faster than Beta 1.
- The Favorites list has a new “add tab” icon which makes it clearer that clicking the icon will launch the website in a new tab.
- And finally â€“ Happy Cubing!
For now, you can download the current versions of SurfCube in the Marketplace for FREE or for $1.99. The Mango version should be released by the end of next week as long as everything goes well. Thanks to Kinabalu Innovation Limited for publishing this great app and sending us the beta version!