SkyMap provides interactive sky maps for any time, viewpoint and location on Earth. It shows the different names, coordinates, magnitude, astronomical rise and set times plus additional information for over 110000 stars, messier objects, planets, sun and the moon.
SkyMap has a full set of features in order to help both casual stargazers and amateur astronomers to explore and locate the objects in the sky: interactive zoom , night mode, gesture support, telrad circles,Â space objects information, autocomplete search, fast star data loading and initialization, map support for portrait and landscape orientations, etc.
SkyMap was one of the top 50 paid applications in US market for approximate 4 weeks after its initial release.
SkyMap application for Windows Phone 7 was recently updated to version 1.2.
New Features in version 1.2
- map rotation mode
- In order to increase the usability of the application, a set of new features were added. Map rotation complements the existing map translation + compass feature and increases the application usability in the field. Due to popular demand, a point to sky (beta) feature release was included. SkyMap will provide a full point to sky feature after Microsoft provides access to compass API (feature announced in Mango OS release).
- astronomy picture of the day
- Astronomy picture of the day brings the integration with NASAâ€™s apod website and provides a convenient way to view and browse these pictures from inside SkyMap.
- point to sky mode (beta)
- flashlight, map orientation lock and other improvements
- Flashlight, ability to adjust the star density (show more/less stars), map orientation lock, help pages and other improvements were included to help users to maximize their stargazing / night observation sessions experience.
- help page
Read more about SkyMap for Windows Phone 7 here.