Following up their previous challenge for AR Drone and Canon Selphy, Microsoft Singapore is teaming up with Nokia Singapore for the next Windows Phone Challenge!
Open to developers with a windows phone dev account tied to a Singapore live-id (overseas participants with dev account tied to SG live-id are welcome to join), this challenge will be awarding 10 Lumia 920s and 10 Lumia 925s for the challenges below! Multiple developers can compete in the same idea. The best submission for each challenge will be awarded a Nokia Lumia 920/925. Do note that some of these challenge are very localized in Singapore’s context, while the others could be quite general.
Nokia Lumia 920 Challenges
1. Singapore 4D/Toto result application with Push Notifications whenever the results are available. Live Tiles and Lock-screen capable of showing latest results. Voice command to launch application (“what’s the 4D/Toto/Lottery result today”), (“what’s the previous 4D/Toto/Lottery result”),(“what’s the 4D/Toto/Lottery result last week”), , and speech synthesis should read out the results in Mandarin and English. Optional: Location Based Services to find the nearest betting stations
2. Address locator application with Live Tiles, Lock-screen and voice command. It will to let you know the civil/friendly address of “where you are”. Voice command for users to ask “where am i”, or “what’s the address of my current location”. The application will launch, read out the location you are and show the civic address (505 bukit panjang ring road)+map on the phone. Live tiles and Lock-screen will show on a periodic basis (using background task) current civic address + map of user.
3. Singapore Weather Application with Push Notification, Secondary Live Tiles, Lock-screen and Voice command. You maybe assume that users of this application will only be from Singapore. Voice command to launch application “will it rain today”, “will it rain tomorrow”, “will it rain next Monday”, “will it rain on 4th July”, “is it sunny today”, “is it cloudy today”, “what’s the weather for the next 3 days”, “what’s the weather for the next 5 days”, “what’s the weather for the week”. Application should response with voice and necessary weather information. Push notifications should be implemented for flood warnings, haze level, and rains + probability for subscribed areas. Example user can subscribe to office (raffles place), school (clementi) and home (bukit panjang) location for rain notification. Users can pin secondary live tiles of raffles place, clementi and bukit panjang to start screen. Users should have the option to display the weather information on their Lock-screen.
4. School planning application with Voice command, for parents to find out which primary/secondary schools are nearby for their child. After allowing users to set their home location via GPS/map selection/address/postal code, this application will be show nearby schools on the map control. The application will after which draw a transparent circle around the home location to show which schools are within the radius. Tapping the school on the map should launch the browser or show more information about the school. Voice command to launch application “what are the schools around 018989?, “what are the schools around me now”, “what are the schools around this area”, “what are the schools around 30 bedok north road”. Application to response with map and list of schools around user specified location.
5. Singapore Pools Soccer Betting Information with Push Notifications when results are out for user-specified soccer league, Voice command, Live Tiles and Lock-screen showing latest results. Voice command to launch application (“what’s the latest results for champions league”). Application read out results in English, and show the available results on screen. Secondary live tiles should show results of user-specified soccer league. Lock-screen should show the latest soccer results. Optional: Location Based Services to find the nearest betting stations.
6. CarPark lots availability application with Voice command, Secondary Live tiles, which shows a list of CarPark and lots. The application should have the capability of pinning specific CarPark secondary live tile showing the parking lots left. Voice command to query on specific CarPark lots left (“what is the available lots in marina bay sands”), with voice response (“there are 100 lots left in marina bay sands”).
7. Queue watch application for polyclinics in Singapore with Voice command and Secondary Live tiles. Users should be able to pin secondary live tiles of specified polyclinics to start screen, showing number of queue and waiting time. Lock-screen should allow users to display the number of patient and waiting time of specified clinic. Voice command to launch “how’s/what’s the queue at bedok polyclinic”. Application should read out number of queues, waiting time and display the live camera feed for bedok polyclinic. The list of polyclinic should be sorted by waiting time, and navigational directions should be given on how to transit to the selected polyclinic from current location.
Challenges 8,9,10 – Coming Soon
Nokia Lumia 925 Challenges
1. Singapore taxi fare calculator with Voice command. This application will estimated price and suggest the route to take. Voice command to launch application (“how much does it cost to take a cab from changi to yishun”), (“how much does it cost to take a cab to changi airport”), (“how much does it cost to take a cab from 505 bukit panjang to 100 bedok north road). Application should read out amount and show the map + route on screen. Do include CBD, Peak hours, Airport, Midnight and ERP charges.
2. Singapore Movie Application to find out the vacancies of SG Cinemas for various movies. Voice command will be able to query “what is the availability of despicable me today”. The application should show the list of cinemas and the available number of seats in the cinema.
3. Internet radio for Singapore channels, with capabilities to pin secondary tiles for specific radio channels. Voice command to launch application (turn on the radio for class 95), and secondary tile allows launching of app directly to radio channel.
4. Voice command application to find commonly used / amenities around you, example AXS, ATM, SAM Machines, Convenient Store, Post Office, Supermarket, Police Station, MRT Stations etc…. Voice command to launch application “where is the nearest dbs atm”, and would show you the direction+map on how to get there. The list of amenities should be reliably accurate and recently updated.
5. Phone book application with Voice command, which searches Singapore’s directory for the contact number and dials the number for you. Voice command enabled and allows you to search by voice. Example “call OCBC, call ministry of manpower, call Macdonald’s delivery, call crystal jade Holland village”. It should show to source of the number (google.com, hungry go where, yellow pages or other sources) before attempting to dial the number.
6. Push notification, Secondary Live Tile and Lock-Screen application for Flights out of Singapore, it will send a push notification once the fare to the user once it drops below user’s specified price. The Lock-Screen should also be able to show/monitor a list of flights. The Secondary live tile should be able to show list of countries which fares are below a user specified threshold. The voice command will be able to query “what are the flights below $200?, “how much does it cost to fly to Kuala Lumpur”
Challenges 7,8,9,10 – Coming Soon
How do i join this challenge?
Read the full terms and conditions here