This rumour has been sitting in our inbox for a while, but given how tenuous it is I have held off posting it.
However given what a slow news day today is, I decided I might as well throw it out and leave our readers to decide.
Insideris reports on a forum post on a bodybuilding site (I kid you not) purporting to be a second hand account from a Verizon employee (yes, I know) which says Verizon will not just be sporting a new mid-range Nokia Windows Phone 8 handset, but in fact a range of devices from each Windows Phone 8 OEM.
He reports the selection as follows:
HTC Windows Phone 8
– A midrange phone, 720p 4-4.3â€ screen, 1.2 GHz S4 CPU, 1GB RAM, 8GB internal memory.
Samsung Windows Phone 8
– One low end phone on a prepaid offering. HTC Trophy like specification, WVGA screen, 1.2 GHz Snapdragon S4 CPU, 4GB internal memory, 512 MB of RAM.
– One midrange Samsung phone, Galaxy Nexus clone.
Nokia Windows Phone 8
– One high end phone with a 768p 4.3? screen.
– However, as Verizon is going all in on phones with huge screens, we expect to see a 4.5â€ Nokia phone with a 1.5 GHz Snapdragon Pro S4 CPU in both 16 and 32 GB offerings.
The poster says Verizon will be a launch partner on September 5th, and that the Windows Phone 8 marketing will be on par with that of Verizonâ€™s Droid campaign, which was huge and created the much needed brand awareness.
What do our readers make of this rumour? Let us know below.