Recently Microsoft released some first party video editing apps which include the Garage apps, Movie Creator and many more. There are however quite a few 3rd party apps with similar or even better functionality and features.
The app which drew my attention is Video Memories. It provides advanced tools to create simple shows with your pictures and music. Although I have never used this app before and was introduced to it two weeks ago, I seemed to get hang of it in the first few minutes and created a test movie to try out all the features, tools, etc.
Before I dig deeper, I must note that the app is filled with features, some that are not on Movie Creator BETA including:
- You can add as many photos as you want. (I have never tried to find the limit, I am sure you guys can)
- Add ~40 professional transitions to your images.
- Super fast video creation.
- Create instagram-styled videos.
- ~100 frames for every season!
- Support for 512MB devices.
- Set different video ratios.
- Upload to YouTube and Facebook from within the app!
The app is filled with many good things. I will go over these in a brief..
- App is made with a simple, elegant and easy to use design.
- All the features, options and menus are not hidden inside application bars.
- Editing tools are well highlighted with buttons which are easy to understand.
- The app encodes and creates videos super fast.
- All the app’s storage (like Videos, Music and Photos) are stored in sorted sections under menu which are good.
- It allows the user to customize their movie’s by adding more than 40 transitions and filters.
- Adding custom text on images is possible.
“There is no good without bad..”
An app cannot be perfect, and Video Memories is not an exception. There are some things which I hope its developers can fix soon.
- The app takes 5-6 seconds to load which can be improved.
- No music can be played from the Music page.
- No music can be downloaded or added to the Music page as it says in the app description.
- The video editing page should be improved with a better design.
- A pinch to increase font size should be added as a gesture while adding text to an image.
THE FINAL VERDICT
I really enjoy to use this app, but some elements could be improved. I really respect the developers for making such a feature packed app for free. I will continue to use this app when creating quick movies and videos are necessary.
- Download Video Memories (Free, 512MB devices supported, 14MB Download)