According to the report from Techcrunch, Microsoft is planning to acquire news recommendation startup Prismatic. Prismatic is a social recommendation network that helps you keep up with all the things you care about. Work interests, hobbies, or the occasional cat video: never miss another piece of content.
With Prismatic you’ll get:
• Content you’ll truly love, whatever you’re into
We scour the web to provide you with the most recommended and engaging content from the topics, people or publishers you follow.
• Everything from work to play
You’re an architect who is interested in opera? With over 10,000 topics, you’ll never run out of things to learn about.
• Learn together
Reading and recommending improves content for the whole community. The more you use Prismatic, the better it is for everyone.
• Connect with a vibrant community that shares your interests
• Stay up to date with everything your friends are sharing
• Learn from a community of users who work in your field
• Share your most interesting discoveries with your friends
• Take a deep dive on any topic
• Don’t miss any news relevant to your interests
• Night mode, allowing you to stay in the know at all hours
Apart from Microsoft, companies like Apple and Yahoo are also interested in this startup.
It’s not clear what stage talks are at presently. Microsoft is one among several large companies that are talking to the startup, with the “most serious interest” otherwise coming from Apple and Yahoo. Google and Facebook have also showed early interest. Another source resolutely names Microsoft as the final buyer, and a price: $30 million.