Microsoft and Qualcomm have a very close relationship and the snapdragon chipset has been used in Windows Phones for quite some time now. As Spock would say, it is only logical that the Snapdragon chipsets would start to appear in some Windows RT tablets. At the BUILD conference a few weeks back Qualcomm showed off a reference Windows RT tablet running on their Snapdragon 800 chipset. This may be a sign of what is to come later this year.
The 11.6″ tablet, running at around WXGA resolution includes:
- mini-HDMI port,
- NFC and SD card slot.
- 12MP camera
- Snapdragon 800 running at 2.2GHz
Qualcomm is working closely with Microsoft to:
- optimize the new chipset for the Windows RT platform
- Bring support for higher-resolution displays – up to 2560x2048px
- Add an Adreno 330 GPU
- Ability to natively encode and decode 4K video
- Including integrated 3G/4G radios.
With over 100k apps in the windows store and a more powerful tablets to come soon, the future for WindowsRT is quite exciting. A dock is also shown off in the pictures, but this may or may not come with the final version of the tablet. Is this a sneak peak at the Surface RT 2?