Microsoft today announced that Project Spark is shifting from a free-to-play model to a free and open creation platform from Oct 5th. So, it will be completely free. It will automatically unlock previously paid downloadable content for new and existing Project Spark users. Microsoft will pivot from producing DLC and active feature development to encouraging more user generated content and opening the Project Spark experience.
Why this change?
We’ve decided to shift Project Spark’s focus to encouraging user generated content and opening up the Project Spark experience. If we really want Project Spark to be an incubation engine, it really needs to be a free experience. The creations people are making in Project Spark are much more interesting to us. We can’t wait to see what happens when everything is unlocked! I’m sure we’re going to be blown away. With this change, we’ve decided to get out of the content creation business. It would have been great to create content packs to answer all the top community requests, but we’re proud of the almost 50 content packs we’ve produced so far. There is so much to create with.
Alongside these larger changes, Project Spark will roll out a number of different content, updates and features to further unlock and amplify your experience. The new Project Spark Title Update, arriving on October 5, will include features like:
- The maximum terrain limit in creations has been doubled (on top of Massive World Builder)
- The maximum prop limit in creations has been increased by 500 (on top of Massive World Builder)
- 200+ new assets will be added in game, including a dragon, goblin warlord, bog biome and a set of new primitive building blocks
- Each creator will now have a total of 100 Upload Slots for their creations
- UGC ranking will be based on downloads and favorites, instead of upvote/downvote ratings
- The Project Spark Marketplace has been removed
- The Project Spark Tour and Treasure Trove have been removed
- Achievements have been revamped for players and creators
What if you purchased content on Project Spark recently?
In light of these changes to a fully free model, all players who have purchased Project Spark digital content on or after July 28, 2015, purchased a retail disc and activated it by product key redemption on or after July 28, 2015 or have a remainder balance of purchased in-game tokens will be entitled to Microsoft Store credit equivalent to their money spent. Microsoft Store credits will be awarded automatically to all users within 30-60 days after October 5. If you have additional concerns, we have a full FAQ on our refund process.