Microsoft recently released the September Update for Power BI Desktop with the much awaited Drillthrough filters and more. Drillthrough filters will allow users to create a page in their report that provides details on a single ‘entity’ in a model, such as a customer, manufacturer, product, or location, and then use any data point referring to that ‘entity’ column through the report to navigate to that drillthrough page with the matching filter context.
This update also comes with report insights feature that allows you to right click on a bar or a data point in a chart and ask Power BI to explain why the data point increased or decreased compared to the data point before it. Power BI will use machine learning algorithms over the data and give you charts showing what categories most influenced this increase or decrease. It’s pretty cool!
Find the full list of new features coming in this update below.
- Drillthrough to another report page
- Explain the increase/decrease insights (preview)
- Ribbon chart
- Theming preview update – chart style controls
- Accessibility improvements
- Accessible See data
- Keyboard shortcut helper dialog
- High density scatter chart sampling
- Cartesian gridline style control
- New community visuals
- Visio visual (preview)
- Calendar by Tallan
- Enlighten Aquarium
- Impact Bubble Chart
- Azure Consumption Insights connector
- Improvements to the Dynamics 365 for Financials connector
Read about these features in detail here.