Bank Pekao has just become the first company to enable true NFC-based contact-less payments on Windows 10 Mobile.
Host Card Emulation-based contact-less payment support has been available since Windows Phone 8.1, but has never been supported before, with the SIM-based and carrier-supported secure element payment briefly being supported in USA.
HCE-based payments differ from the earlier system in that no explicit support is needed by vendors, with your phone working just like any other contact-less payment card.
This means payments are supported by millions of terminals, not just in Poland, but also abroad, and does not need a connection to the internet to be completed.
With the PeoPay app users are asked to type in a PIN to initiate a payment, but for payment of less than 50 z? ($12.50) they can optionally complete payments without even opening the app.
A video (in Polish) showing the process in action can be seen here:
The PeoPay app otherwise features:
- Provides convenience and speed of payment in local stores and on the Internet
- Allows contact-less payments in Poland and abroad (phones with Windows 10 Mobile and NFC)
- The phone you always have on hand is better than the wallet you happens to forget
- You have the ability to take advantage of discounts program run by Bank Pekao SA
- Immediate transfers between users PeoPay users via phone number
- Secure payments on the internet for websites with the PeoPay logo
- Cash withdrawals from ATMs of Bank Pekao SA
- Check balances and account history in real time
Lucky Polish users on Windows 10 Mobile can download the app from the Windows Store here.