BitTorrent.com have brought their official BitTorrent Sync app to Windows Phone.
BitTorrent Sync is is a proprietary peer-to-peer file synchronization tool. The app lets you sync and share an unlimited number of files and folders of any size across all of your trusted devices, such as PCs and phones. It functions similarly to a cloud storage service but without the cloud component.
User’s data are stored on the local hard disk instead of a cloud, requiring at least one computer online to host the files. BitTorrent Sync encrypts data with an AES-128 key in counter mode which may either be randomly generated or set by the user. This key is derived from a ‘secret’ which can be shared to other users to share data. Data is sent from device to device directly unless the target device is unreachable (e.g. behind a firewall) in which case the data will be relayed by another node. The nodes do not have to be using the same secret, however only nodes which know the secret are able to decrypt and view the data.
In many ways the service is similar to the now defunct Microsoft Live Mesh and lets you have much of the benefits of the cloud, but without the privacy concerns and with no storage fees or extra costs.
- Access all your Sync folders and files from your Windows Phone device.
- Add photos from your Windows Phone device to any of your Sync folders.
- Automatically back up your Camera Roll to a folder on your computer.
- File transfers are encrypted and protected by secure keys.
- Your information is never stored on a server in the cloud.
- Connecting the Sync application to other Sync folders is as easy as taking a picture of a QR code with your camera.
The free app can be found in the Windows Phone Store here.
See a video explaining the service after the break.
Read more about the service at BitTorrent.com here.