Online news service Newser announced today that it has partnered with Nokia to release a new app for Windows Phone.
Newser is an online news service, uses proprietary technology to locate the most important and interesting news from among the thousands of stories breaking each day. Newserâ€™s writers and editors then write and publish short, pithy stories in a smart, efficient and entertaining graphic format.
The Windows Phone app includes unique features currently unavailable on Newserâ€™s other platforms:
- Breaking news: a panel in the main panoramic view dedicated to breaking news and an optional mechanism for displaying toast (pop-up) notifications any time a breaking story is posted.
- Superlatives: an option to vote for stories that are â€œmost brilliantâ€ or â€œmost intriguingâ€ with classifications appearing on a dedicated panel. In addition, users can pin those panels to their start pages for quick and easy access.
Other features include:
- Graphical quick view of current headlines
- Alternate views of the news (by date, popularity, section, importance, etc.)
- Media galleries, including pinch and zoom of images
- Live Tile updates on the phoneâ€™s start screen that show the number of new stories, most recent stories and breaking news.
- Social sharing of stories via Facebook, Twitter and email.
- Easy tools for commenting on stories.
Patrick Spain, CEO of Newser, said, â€œOur users who have Windows Phones were eager for a convenient way to view our content on their new devices. Thanks to our partnership with Nokia, we developed and released a Windows Phone app quickly.â€
Nokia Director of Global Partner & Application Development Mark Fletcher, said, â€œWeâ€™re glad to bring great partners like Newser to our Nokia Lumia Windows Phone customers. Newserâ€™s high-design editorial presentation provides great summaries of the dayâ€™s top stories which are ideal for mobile users.â€
The Newser app is available for free download now from Windows Phone Marketplace here.