Microsoft today posted a blog post to showcase their commitment on ensuring secure experiences across devices and platforms. They detailed the encryption scenario in Office 365. The three primary encryption controls available in Office 365 today are:
- Office 365 Message Encryption
- Information Rights Management (IRM)
Key Encryption features in Office 365:
- Recipients of encrypted messages can download Office 365 Message Encryption viewer apps today at the Google Play Store or iOS App Store.
- With Information Rights Management (IRM) capabilities, you can secure your information by encrypting it and applying an intelligent policy so that only specified internal and/or external people can “act” on your information. You can now safely sync your IRM protected documents on OneDrive for Business.
- While IRM provides some default templates, you can extend them by creating your own templates. You may choose to create policy templates specific to the needs of departments or divisions. Departmental templates allows you to define the scope of these templates.
- Microsoft is bringing the same rich IRM experience to Office applications across different platforms.
- Office apps for iPhone and iPad will start supporting IRM in summer of 2015.
- Office for Mac will support IRM in its first release in second half of CY2015.
- Office apps for Android will support IRM in second half of 2015
- IRM will be enabled out of the box in Universal Office apps and Outlook for Windows 10.
- We are also working hard to enable IRM in the newly released Outlook app for iOS and Android and more details will follow soon.
Read more about it here.