Microsoft today shared their key learnings from the release of Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta. Over the course of the three week beta, they saw nearly 20 million games played, accounting for 290 years of collective game time. Microsoft listened to feedback channels including web forums, reddit, Twitter and Facebook. Today, they shared a short summary of items that they are addressing for launch.
Microsoft will provide toggles in custom games so that sprint and the other Spartan Abilities can be turned off. By putting these tools in the hands of players we will give them the ability to play the game their way, enabling them to create a more traditional style of Halo if they prefer.
Some of the other improvements that we are making to Spartan Abilities and general mobility coming out of the beta:
- Increase base speed (faster base movement)
- Increase strafe acceleration (faster, more responsive strafing)
- Reduce top sprint speed (narrow the delta between base movement and sprint)
- Modify Ground Pound controls to prevent conflicts w/ crouch jumping
- General tuning & bug fixes for all Spartan Abilities (Thrusters, Clamber, Ground Pound, etc.)
Our newest weapon, the Hydra, received a mixed response from fans. Hard to use at first, it took some time for players to realize how effective the Hydra is at curving shots around cover at range from within the new Smart-Link system. Once it clicked, people began mopping up, but many players still felt that the weapon didn’t have enough utility in general combat. We’ll be buffing the weapon to make it more effective out of zoom and ensure that it feels like a true power weapon.
Some of the other improvements that we’ll be making to weapons in the game follow:
- Sniper Rifle: improve scope experience to making it less “clunky” and faster to scope
- DMR: adjust position of the scope to improve visibility
- Bring back the SPNKr Rocket Launcher as a legendary version of the weapon
- Reduce bonuses for automatic weapons in Smart-Link & w/ headshots
- Remove grenade detonation in mid-air based on weapon fire
- Ability to turn on/off vibration feedback for weapons
- General tuning and bug fixing for all weapons
Find the full list of improvements here.