Microsoft today announced the preview of ASP.NET 5 whcih is a lean and composable .NET stack for building modern web applications for both cloud and on-premises servers. Visual Studio 2015 supports creating and developing ASP.NET 5 Preview applications.
It includes the following features:
- ASP.NET MVC and Web API, which have been unified into a single programming model.
- A no-compile developer experience.
- Environment-based configuration for a seamless transition to the cloud.
- Dependency injection out-of-the-box.
- NuGet everything, even the runtime itself.
- Run in IIS, or self-hosted in your own process.
- All open source through the .NET Foundation, and takes contributions in GitHub.
- ASP.NET 5 runs on Windows with the .NET Framework or .NET Core.
- .NET Core is a new cloud optimized runtime that supports true side-by-side versioning.
- ASP.NET 5 runs on OS X and Linux with the Mono runtime.
Read more about it here.