Enterprises are one of the biggest hurdles for adoption of latest versions of Internet Explorer. Most of enterprise avoid updating Internet Explorer to avoid any compatibility issues. Microsoft really wants to improve this situation and have made number of announcements in the recent past related to it. Today, they highlighted them in their official blog. Read them below.
- Support policy changes: In August, we announced that starting January 12, 2016, only the most recent version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical support and security updates. For example, customers using Internet Explorer 8, Internet Explorer 9, or Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7 SP1 should migrate to Internet Explorer 11 to continue receiving security updates and technical support.
- Security benefits: In June, we shared the security benefits from upgrading to the latest version of Internet Explorer. Newer versions of IE are faster, more secure, and have better Web standards support than older versions. For Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users, upgrading to Internet Explorer 11 has significant benefits—and enabling automatic updating ensures that users will always be up-to-date.
- Enterprise Mode for IE11 support through 2020: We shared in August that Enterprise Mode for Internet Explorer 11—with higher-fidelity emulation for older versions of Internet Explorer—will be supported through the duration of the operating system lifecycle. On Windows 7, for example, Enterprise Mode will be supported through January 14, 2020. We will continue to improve Enterprise Mode, to help customers extend existing Web app investments and ease the transition to the latest version of Internet Explorer.
- Enterprise Site Discovery Toolkit: In October, we announced the Enterprise Site Discovery Toolkit for Internet Explorer 11. This new tool provides a way for IT Pros to better understand how their organization is using Web apps, further aiding in prioritizing testing and remediation efforts. In addition to showing the document modes already being used, Enterprise Site Discovery will also collect the zone, crash counts, and other relevant information.
- Along with the new Enterprise Mode Site List, which will give better control over how the document modes will be used, the Enterprise Site Discovery Toolkit will help save time and money when testing and remediating Web app compatibility.
Read more about it here.