Last year, Gartner recognised Microsoft as a Leader in the new Content collaboration platforms Magic Quadrant Report for 2017 and it was placed highest for Ability to Execute. Recently, Gartner published this year’s report and Microsoft was recognized as a leader for the second year in a row. Microsoft was placed highest in ability to execute just like last year and has made substantial improvements in the completeness of vision over last year’s report. Gartner mentioned the following as Strengths and Cautions of OneDrive for Business platform.
- Microsoft envisages the evolution of content collaboration from traditional knowledge workers to frontline and field workers. Through Windows Mixed Reality devices, such as HoloLens, immersive and augmented content-related experiences can be realized, enabling modern training and maintenance scenarios.
- The Microsoft Graph adds intelligence to content stored in OneDrive and other Office 365 data applications. It enables deep insight into content that can enhance the user experience through smarter interactions. Microsoft Flow, by using the Microsoft Graph, can help automate content management and processing tasks.
- Reference customers for Microsoft reported that OneDrive is very easy to use and provides many features for getting organized and collaborating with others. Most reported that OneDrive deployment was easy and efficient, and that it brought operational efficiency after rollout.
- Microsoft’s vision for OneDrive is tightly linked with Office 365, and less focused on integration with third-party business applications outside Microsoft’s ecosystem. OneDrive lacks native connectors to various enterprise content repositories and applications. Organizations can mitigate this shortcoming if their enterprise systems provide native connectors to SharePoint (the back end of OneDrive).
- OneDrive offers limited support for external collaboration. It does not have a separate workspace with a dedicated domain and repository, although SharePoint and Teams can be used for that purpose. Joint initiatives between different organizations (such as a consortium), for example, require a dedicated team or project area that is accessible only by authorized members, with a separate repository and data governance.
- Reference customers for Microsoft indicated that additional costs for cloud storage may emerge after deploying Office 365.
You can read the full Gartner report here.