Microsoft ended support for Windows XP, a decade old OS back in April. Since lots of Chinese Government computers still use Windows XP, they are exposed to security attacks. Last month, Chinese government made a strange move by announcing the ban of Microsoft’s Windows 8 OS in government computers. As per reports, the ban is due to the notice on the use of energy-saving products. The official Xinhua news claimed that it was due to security concerns. There were also reports that Microsoft supporting NSA for spying Chinese computers running Windows XP, etc,. Microsoft has posted the following information on its official Weibo account to clarify on this matter,
- Microsoft has never assisted any government in an attack of another government or clients.
- Microsoft has never provided any government the authority to directly visit our products or services.
- Microsoft has never provided any so-called “Backdoor” into its products or services.
- Microsoft has never provided the data or info of our clients to the U.S. Govt. or National Security Agency.
- Microsoft has never concealed any requests from any government for information about its clients.
Even though Windows 8 was banned, Microsoft is still Windows 7 OS to Chinese government customers.