Recently, Microsoft announced the stable channel release of EdgeHTML 14 with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. EdgeHTML 14 is the third and most significant update to the Microsoft Edge web platform since their initial release one year ago. Today, Microsoft published a new video on Channel 9 to highlight the new improvements in EdgeHTML 14. Helen Huang (an intern on the Web Platform Team) and Jonathan Sampson (a program manager on the Web Platform Team) gave a quick tour and you can watch it above.
Below improvements coming as part of EdgeHTML 14.
- Web Extensions support is now part of EdgeHTML 14.
- Microsoft Edge in the Anniversary Update is easily the most accessible browser and the only browser to earn a perfect score on HTML5Accessibility’s browser benchmark.
- In the Anniversary Update, they are adding features like Kernel Attack Protection, which makes kernel attacks more difficult by reducing the kernel components exposed to the browser and enforcing an allow list for kernel calls from Flash and the content process.
- In EdgeHTML 14, they have carefully measured and tuned performance across the board to make core components faster and more efficient, resulting in a faster experience.
- They have improved scrolling in Microsoft Edge by taking all scrolling, including keyboard and scrollbar actions, completely off of the UI thread.