Microsoft yesterday announced the general availability of Cool Blob Storage, a low cost storage for cool object data. This cool storage can be used for backups, media content, scientific data, compliance and archival data which lives for a longer period of time and is accessed less than once a month. With this new Blob storage, customers can choose between Hot and Cool access tiers to store object data based on its access pattern.
Features of Blob storage:
- Cost effective: You can now store your less frequently accessed data in the Cool access tier at a low storage cost (as low as $0.01 per GB in some regions), and your more frequently accessed data in the Hot access tier at a lower access cost. For more details on regional pricing, see Azure Storage Pricing.
- Compatibility: We have designed Blob storage accounts to be 100% API compatible with our existing Blob storage offering which allows you to make use of the new storage accounts in existing applications seamlessly.
- Performance: Data in both access tiers have a similar performance profile in terms of latency and throughput.
- Availability: The Hot access tier guarantees high availability of 99.9% while the Cool access tier offers a slightly lower availability of 99%. With the RA-GRS redundancy option, we provide a higher read SLA of 99.99% for the Hot access tier and 99.9% for the Cool access tier.
- Durability: Both access tiers provide the same high durability that you have come to expect from Azure Storage and the same data replication options that you use today.
- Scalability and Security: Blob storage accounts provide the same scalability and security features as our existing offering.
- Global reach: Blob storage accounts are available for use starting today in most Azure regions with additional regions coming soon. You can find the updated list of available regions on the Azure Services by Regions page.
Amazon already has a similar Cool Storage offering called Glacier which offers storage for as low as $0.007 per GB / month, so Microsoft’s Azure Cool Blob Storage has already got heavy competition in the market.