Microsoft today announced the Update 1.0 release for StorSimple 8000 series. With this update, StorSimple 8000 series is now available in the Azure Government Cloud, and supports other cloud providers and Zone Redundant Storage(ZRS) for backend cloud storage. Update 1.0 also includes a migration tool kit enabling customers to upgrade from 5000/7000 series devices, as well as enhancements to the initial device setup and update experience.
This update contains the following new features and improvements:
- Migration from 5000-7000 series to 8000 series devices – This release introduces a new migration feature that allows the StorSimple 5000-7000 series appliance users to migrate their data to a StorSimple 8000 series physical appliance or an 1100 virtual appliance. The migration feature has two key value propositions:
- Business continuity, by enabling migration of existing data on 5000-7000 series appliances to 8000 series appliances.
- Improved feature offerings of the 8000 series appliances, such as efficient centralized management of multiple appliances through StorSimple Manager service, better class of hardware and updated firmware, virtual appliances, data mobility, and features in the future roadmap.
Refer to the migration guide for details on how to migrate a StorSimple 5000-7000 series to an 8000 series device.
- Availability in the Azure Government Portal – StorSimple is now available in the Azure Government portal. See how to deploy a StorSimple device in Azure Government Portal.
- Support for other cloud service providers – The other cloud service providers supported are Amazon S3, Amazon S3 with RRS, HP, and OpenStack (beta).
- Update to latest Storage APIs – With this release, StorSimple has been updated to the latest Azure Storage service APIs. StorSimple 8000 series devices that are running GA are using versions of the Azure Storage Service APIs older than February 12, 2012. As stated in the announcement about removal of Storage service versions, by December 10, 2015, these APIs will be deprecated. It is imperative that you apply the StorSimple 8000 Series Update 1.0 prior to December 9, 2015. If you fail to do so, StorSimple devices will stop functioning correctly.
- Support for Zone Redundant Storage (ZRS) – With the upgrade to the latest version of the Storage APIs, the StorSimple 8000 series will support Zone Redundant Storage (ZRS) in addition to Locally Redundant Storage (LRS) and Geo-redundant Storage (GRS). Refer to this article on Azure Storage redundancy options for ZRS details.
- Enhanced initial deployment and update experience – In this release, the installation and update processes have been enhanced. The installation through the setup wizard is improved to provide feedback to the user if the network configuration and firewall settings are incorrect. Additional diagnostic cmdlets have been provided to help you with troubleshooting networking of the device. See the troubleshooting deployment article for more information about the new diagnostic cmdlets used for troubleshooting.