Microsoft recently announced the August 2015 Power BI Desktop updates including new Excel import capabilities, Spark support, Analysis Services live connection and much more.
The following features have been added or improved in this release:
- Import Excel Power BI artifacts (Data Model, Queries, Power View) into a new Power BI Desktop file
- HDInsight Spark connector
- Azure SQL Data Warehouse connector
- Support for Custom MDX/DAX queries when importing data from SSAS
- Navigator dialog improvements:
- Resizable Navigator dialog
- Ability to multi-select items in Navigator (CTRL+Click, SHIFT+Click, etc.).
- Query Editor improvements:
- Query Group creation/deletion improvements (multi-select, etc.)
- Ability to Split Query (i.e. refactor common base steps into a new query)
- Query Icons to reflect type of query in Queries navigator pane
- Data Modeling improvements:
- Resizing of columns in Data View
- Moving Measures from one table to another
- Live Analysis Services Connections: Ability to change the database from Edit Queries dialog.
In addition to all these new features, lots of bug fixes are included in this release based on issues reported by many of the users. There are certain areas like Publish Reports for which the quality and robustness have been greatly improved in this update.