Linksys today announced the introduction of Velop, its premier Whole Home Wi-Fi product. Velop is the first Tri-Band modular Wi-Fi system that can be installed in various mesh configurations providing fast and reliable Wi-Fi to the edge of a home network. Velop uses the three radios dynamically to determine the optimal path from the modem and “parent” node to each “child” node to ensure the fastest speeds to all client devices, regardless of which node they are connected to.
Each Velop “node” is a powerful Tri-Band AC2200 device that serves as router, range extender, access point, and bridge. Users can configure each node during setup by the accompanying Linksys app leveraging Bluetooth to securely communicate between the mobile device and each node. The Linksys app serves as a powerful Wi-Fi management tool with useful features, such as guest access, parental controls, device prioritization, and more.
- Velop Hardware – Velop uses a highly integrated System on a Chip from Qualcomm, the first of its kind that incorporates a 716 MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 processor, three Wi-Fi radios (one 2.4 GHz and two 5.0 GHz) and two auto sensing LAN/WAN Gigabit ports. This is complemented by 4GB of flash memory, 512MB DDR3 memory and a Bluetooth 4.0/LE radio. Velop contains six antennas and high power amplifiers.
- Dynamic Tri-Band – Each Velop node is a Tri-Band AC 2×2 802.11ac Wave 2 with MU-MIMO radio configuration with combined speed up to 2200 Mbps*. This technical design provides faster speeds at the edge of the network by using algorithms to achieve optimal path calculations. This eliminates the bottlenecking effort that is present with traditional router and range extender combinations as well as dual-band modular Wi-Fi systems.
- True Modular Mesh Design – Each node is built to connect with each other over Wi-Fi or wired Ethernet if present. They auto configure to connect in multiple different mesh topologies. The nodes have the ability to choose the best path to route data between a client and the Internet. In the event any node loses connection to another node, the remaining nodes will self-heal and re-establish Internet connection through other nodes in the network
- Dynamic Channel Selection – Velop will dynamically scan the available channels and select the best combination of bands and channels to optimize performance at the time of setup or whenever the user chooses. The Linksys app has a channel finder feature with will automatically find the best channels on demand and resolve congestion and interference issues that can created by competing Wi-Fi signals.
- App-Led Setup – The new Linksys app (formally known as the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi app) automatically identifies the nodes to be setup using Bluetooth and creates a secure connection between the mobile device and each node. The app guides users through the installation process using visual animations where needed to clearly explain each step, including the uninstallation of current networking hardware.
- Patented-Pending Spot Finder Technology – The placement of each node is critical to have a reliable connection. During setup, Velop will recommend the best placement to reduce latency, maximize throughput and improve range and signal strength.
- Velop works with Amazon Alexa – Velop launches with custom Amazon Alexa “skills” that can turn guest network on/off and request credentials of both the main and guest networks; these are read back to the user by Alexa.
- Seamless Wi-Fi Experience – Velop supports one network name & password, one admin login, one interface for management and monitoring; and one guest network for the whole home. As a result, mobile devices, such as iPhones and laptops, will roam seamlessly and reliably from node-to-node without interruption.
- Airtime Prioritization – Airtime Prioritization enables faster devices to transmit at faster speeds while the slower device will not impede the speed of Wi-Fi network
- Automatic Updates – Velop is connected to a cloud service that will automatically monitor the status of firmware and update accordingly for security and performance. The combination of firmware and app updates will continue to unlock new features and improve performance over time. Some Whole Home Wi-Fi systems require manual firmware updates making them vulnerable to security infringements. Users have the option to turn automatic update off.
- Futureproofing – Velop hardware being a Tri-Band MU-MIMO router will be relevant technology for years to come and has features that will continue to delight users as it becomes enabled with new applications and services, all without any actions required by the customer.
Pricing and Availability:
Velop is available in 3-pack, 2-pack and 1-pack options. Linksys is launching Velop globally with retail, ecommerce, and service provider partners, including Best Buy, Amazon, Curry’s, PC World, and PCCW. Velop comes with a 3-year warranty and 24/7 consumer support for added peace of mind. Find the pricing list below.
- (1 Pack) WHW0301 – $199.99
- (2 Pack) WHW0302 – $349.99
- (3 pack) WHW0303 – $499.99