Microsoft yesterday released images for SQL Server 2016 on Windows Server 2016 in the Azure Marketplace. Microsoft also announced the public availability of SQL Server 2016 Express Edition in Windows Containers. The image is now available on Docker Hub and the build scripts are hosted on our SQL Server Samples GitHub repository. This image can be used in both Windows Server Containers as well as Hyper-V Containers.
All SQL Server 2016 editions on Windows Server 2016 Data Center are available:
- SQL Developer – Free full edition of SQL Server for development/testing (no production)
- SQL Express – Entry level free database for lightweight workloads (1 GB memory, 10 GB storage)
- SQL Web – Low-cost database for low to medium-size web applications
- SQL Standard – Core Database capabilities for medium-size workloads
- SQL Enterprise – Full edition of SQL Server with comprehensive capabilities for mission-critical or large transactional processing, data warehousing, and business intelligence workloads
Download SQL Server 2016 Express Edition Docker Image here.