Microsoft has published a collection of predictions from sixteen employees they consider to be “leading thinkers” within their Technology and Research organization. Each leader was asked not only what to expect in technology advancements but within ten years as well.
Here are a few of the predictions for 2016:
- New silicon architectures offering a major performance boost over GPUs
- Successful and large-scale inclusion of specialized compute acceleration in the cloud
- Online conversations will increasingly be mediated by conversation assistants who will help us laugh and be more productive
- More sensors and devices for monitoring metabolic state
- The confirmation and demonstration of a topological qubit will be a key technology breakthrough for quantum computing
Looking ahead 10 years, here are a few thoughts:
- Ubiquitous, human-quality translation among all European languages
- Every kid who goes to school will learn to code and create the kinds of experiences we use every day
- AI agents like XiaoIce will feel so real and play such a central, trusted role in our lives that we will require them to have the same ethical and legal relationships
- Cancer will be a solved problem
- Connect to a quantum computer through the cloud to seek solutions to problems that we cannot solve with today’s classical computers
It is always interesting to think of the future, check out what all 16 Researchers think the future will bring here.
What do you expect to see in 2016?