Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
Microsoft yesterday made a major announcement for developers around the world. From yesterday, private repositories with unlimited collaborators with all the core GitHub features are now free for everyone. Also, GitHub Team and GitHub Pro now has a reduced monthly price of $4 with no minimum seat requirement. In response to this announcement, GitLab yesterday published a blog post highlighting that it still offers better value to developers than GitHub.
GitLab highlighted that GitHub Pro developers will lose the following features when they migrate to GitHub Free edition:
- Protected branches in private repos
- Draft PRs in private repos
- GitHub Pages in private repos (using one)
- Wikis in private repos
The above features are available for free to all GitLab users.
GitLab Bronze/Starter paid plans also offer more features than GitHub’s Pro plan:
- Code owners in private repos
- Multiple issue assignees in private repos
- Multiple PR assignees in private repos
- Code review automatic assignment in private repos
- Standard support