To create a 40 percent smaller form factor and include an internal power supply, Microsoft removed the dedicated Kinect port from the back of the new Xbox One S console. But Kinect for Xbox One will still be compatible with Xbox One S via the new Xbox Kinect Adapter for USB connection.
If you already own an Xbox One console, Kinect for Xbox One, and new Xbox One S, Microsoft is offering a free Kinect Adapter. You will need the serial number for all three devices to get the free Xbox Kinect Adapter. To request your free Kinect Adapter, contact Xbox Support. To save time, Microsoft recommends you to make sure your Xbox One S console, original Xbox One console, and Xbox One Kinect Sensor are registered to your Microsoft account. Go to Device Support to register your devices.
Kinect Adapter Features:
- Experience the convenience and versatility of the Xbox One Kinect Sensor on your Xbox One S or Windows PC
- Play games where you are the controller on Xbox One S and instantly capture screenshots or game clips
- Connect to a Windows PC via USB 3.0 and craft experiences that are more natural, personal and engaging
- Advanced skeletal tracking and enhanced noise isolation
- Wider field of view with the 1080p HD camera
If you have just purchased a Kinect sensor to use with their Xbox One S console, you can buy the adapter from Microsoft Store and other retailers.
Pre-order it here from Amazon.