First of all, I want to thank the WMPowerUser community for all of their support when I launched Fresh Comics back in January. I received a very encouraging response to the initial version of the app and a ton of great feedback for ways that I might improve the product. The enthusiasm was evident in my app download stats and I appreciate the warm reception.
I’ve returned to this community (actually, I’ve been lurking for the past couple of months) to let you know that your feedback was put to good use and to highlight some of the new features in the current shipping version of Fresh Comics (v1.5 at the time of writing):
- The enormous bump in the Fresh Comics installed base from the previous post highlighted a number of crashing bugs and other issues. There’s nothing like a ton of users banging on your software to expose the warts. While I haven’t been able to replicate and address all the issues, I continue to strive to make Fresh Comics the most stable app I can.
- You demanded a Live Tile and you now have it. When you create a favorite in Fresh Comics, that issue’s cover is added to a rotation of images that are displayed on your home screen throughout the day.
- Fresh Comics shipped with support for displaying this week’s comics as well as last week’s. Due to popular demand, Fresh Comics now includes next week’s releases as well.
- The nearby shop finder now includes images of the storefronts of your local shops (where I could find them) as well as support for events those stores are hosting within the next couple of weeks. If you visit your local shop every week for new releases, please let the proprietor know that I would like to include their artist signings, sales, and other events across the various Fresh Comics apps.
- You can now save cover images to your local picture album for use elsewhere on your device. Fresh Comics has become my go-to place for wallpaper every week. “Infestation 2: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #2” is my background this week.
Thank you again for the feedback and support that helped me get the app this far. Given that it’s now in a somewhat stable state feature-wise, I’m now looking for good ways to spread the word and to tell more mobile users about Fresh Comics. In addition to any additional feedback that you may have, I’d also appreciate any suggestions of sites that I might contact to help get the word out about this app.
I’ll be exhibiting at Chicago’s C2E2 convention next month, and I’m working on boosting the app’s installed base as much as possible so that I can convince shop owners that it’s worth their time to send me their events to advertise in the Fresh Comics users in their neighborhood. If you have any ideas about how I can spread the word, I’m listening.