We all love our smartphones and we all have our â€œfavoritesâ€ when it comes to things we do from our phone. Whether it is sharing our status, calling our loved ones or texting co-workers, there are always these things we do again and again. Have you ever felt like you want to organize them and be able to get them done faster?
Now you can do it on your Windows Phone!
Lightning Dial is a free app that allows you to create shortcuts and organize them. Those shortcuts provide easier and quicker access to things you do frequently. The following is a list of shortcuts that are currently available in the app:
- Call phone â€“ speed-dial a contact of your choice
- Send email/SMS â€“ quickly send an email or SMS to a predefined address/number. You can even select the default message and subject and only fill in the blanks
- Browse a web page â€“ opens a web page of your choice in the browser
- Share your status â€“ instantly post your status on Facebook, Twitter and other social networks supported by Windows Phone
- Open connection settings â€“ if you have to change some of these frequently (like turning Wi-Fi on/off), it will be much faster with a shortcut than going through the settings menu every time
- Open the marketplace â€“ open the Windows Phone marketplace for music or apps
- Open Bing Maps â€“ see your current location in the Bing Maps application
- Do a search â€“ quickly do a search using the advanced built-in search dialog (this is different than clicking the Search button on your phone)
- More shortcuts coming in future versions
Whatâ€™s great about this app is that it has a very intuitive and simple user interface. Shortcuts are organized in a grid and you can drag-and-drop them to reorder or delete. You are presented with three pages of shortcuts. The main page is displayed when you launch the app and the left and right are just a swipe away.
It is true that some of those shortcuts could be pinned to the home screen as Live Tiles. However, after the Mango release more and more apps are being released with great dynamic Live Tiles and you might soon find your home screen with far too many tiles to be usable. Why lose space with a static shortcut tile when you can have all your shortcuts in one app?
You can download Lightning Dial for free.