Pharos has just announced a powerhouse of a Windows Mobile phone at CES, and the best part is that the unlocked phone does supports 3GÂ on theÂ 1700 Mhz T-Mobile band and also the 850 Mhz band, unlike the vast majority of smartphones that only serves AT&T’s 850 Mhz network.
In addition the smartphone has specs which rival the HTC Touch HD. It features a large 3.5 inch WVGA screen, weighs just 4.9 ounces and encased in a sleek, stylish black case. It has a 3 megapixel camera in the back and front-facing VGA camera for video conferencing in front, a first for a device designed for the US market. It comes pre-customized with SPB Mobile Shell and features Pharos’ Smart Navigator software, a unique hybrid navigation system that works both with and without a network connection. Thus, even when the Traveler 137 is out of a carrier coverage zone, the user has the ability to display maps, create routes and navigate door-to-door. Initially, maps of the United States will be provided free of charge. Pay-as-you-go maps are available for Canada, Western Europe and Eastern Europe on a daily, weekly, monthly or yearly basis. The service will soon be extended to include maps of China, Russia, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil and elsewhere. Live Search will also be integrated.
“Most navigation solutions for smartphones only work when within a carrier coverage zone,” said James Oyang, PhD, President, Pharos. “We’ve equipped the Traveler 137 with our hybrid navigation system that follows you wherever you want to go and charges you only when you actually use it.”
The full specs of the device, which is the result of a partnership between Inventec and Pharos are:
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional
- Hardware partner: Pharos works closely with Inventec
- Processor: Qualcomm MSM 7201A 528MHz
- Memory: 256MB DDR SDRAM, 512MB Flash ROM
- Phone: unlocked GSM quad band 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, EDGE / GPRS, Tri-band 3G, 1700/1900/2100 MHz, UMTS 384Kb/s, HSDPA 7.2Mb/s, HSUPA 2Mb/s
- Talk time: up to 4 hours talk time and 200 hours standby time
- Display: 3.5″ TFT LCD with touch panel, 480 x 800 Wide-VGA with 65,000 colors
- Wireless: GPS aGPS compatible, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth(TM) v2.1 + EDR , FM tuner
- Camera: 3 megapixel for picture or video, .3 megapixel on the front for video conference
- Expansion: USB 2.0, micro SD slot support SDHC, stereo audio jack
- Battery: 1380 mAh Li-Ion, rechargeable/replaceable
- Size: 4.60in (L) x 2.40in (W) x 0.51in (H)
- Weight: 4.9 ounces
The device will be sold for a very reasonable $599 available via major retailers in Q1 2009, utilizing Pharos’s existing distribution network.