Fidelity Investments® announced today that Windows Phone users now have free access to the Fidelity Windows Phone 8 brokerage app through the online Windows Phone Store to help them manage their investments on the go. The app provides Fidelity customers access to their brokerage account watch lists, account information, real-time quotes and the ability to trade stocks, ETFs, mutual funds and options. All investors, whether or not they are a Fidelity customer, will be able to view news, market information and quotes.
The app gives Windows Phone users the ability to pin individual securities directly onto their phone’s Start Screen for continuous quotes via the Windows Phone Live Tiles. These Live Tiles will update automatically in real time, and depending on the movement of the security, the Live Tile will be colored red or green. When set to the medium or large size, the Live Tile will also flip to show the security’s relevant news stories.
“Fidelity’s ongoing mobile strategy is to be there for investors on the platforms and services they use every day,” said Sean Belka, senior vice president of Fidelity Labs. “We heard from Windows Phone users that they wanted a nimble brokerage app from Fidelity to be able to take action in today’s dynamic markets, and we believe the Windows Phone 8 platform fills that need and provides a unique experience in the mobile space.”
“Apps come to life on Windows Phone thanks to features like Live Tiles and resizable tiles,” said Todd Brix, general manager, Windows Phone Apps, Microsoft Corp. “Fidelity takes advantage of all of these features and more to enable users to stay updated on their investments with just a glance at their Start Screen and trade on the go.”
Key Brokerage Features in the Fidelity Windows Phone App
The Fidelity Windows Phone 8 app can help investors track the market, take action and monitor investments in their Fidelity brokerage account. Key features include:
- Market Information – when investors launch the app, they will see a U.S. market summary showing quotes for the Dow Jones Industrial AverageSM1, NASDAQ Composite Index®2, Russell 3000® Growth Index3, the S&P 500® Index4 and a comparative intraday price chart for the four indices.
- Quotes – when investors view a quote within the app, they can navigate to trade, search for an option chain, add the symbol to their watch list or pin it to the phone’s home screen. They can also click to view performance information and be taken to a full Snapshot page on Fidelity.com, which includes advanced charting, analyst opinions, an Equity Summary Score and a News & Events summary.
- Trading – the app provides intuitive trade tickets for stocks, ETFs, mutual funds and options, and will pre-populate the tickets if an investor selects to trade from within a quote. Option traders can view option chains for available symbols and then filter by strike range and expiration date.
- News – news from leading providers such as Reuters and MarketWatch is displayed within stock quotes and in a Live Tile if an investor pins a quote to his or her phone’s home screen. The dedicated news tab in the app has multiple categories such as Top News, Market News, International and Investing Ideas.
- Account Information – investors will find all the necessary information to remain up to date on their account, including balance summaries and details, color-coded account positions denoting each position’s movement, open orders and account history.
Employees with a retirement plan managed by Fidelity can use the new app to check positions and balances in their retirement plans, and investors serviced through Fidelity’s Stock Plan Services business can view their stock option balances.
The Windows Phone app is the latest for Fidelity Labs, which has conducted early experiments in mobile devices, social media and emerging technologies. For more information about Web development projects designed and built by Fidelity Labs, investors can visit www.fidelitylabs.com.