Windows Phone 7â€™s biggest weakness is the lack of support for legacy applications. For consumer applications this is not a big issue, due to the variety of consumer-orientated built-in applications, but for enterprise customers it may very well prevent moving to a new platform.
Microsoft is relying on enterprise ISVs to port their applications and will therefore be very happy to see the first signs of it, with e-switch solutions being one of the first to port their software to Windows Phone 7.
The e-switch mobile productivity platform allows users to execute business transactions and critical decisions anytime and from anywhere. The mobile solution consists of the XRB/ws server and the client application mCompanion.
The mCompanion supports all common communication protocols depending of the mobile device. The flexible framework allows the mapping of customer specific processes and transactions.
The software features:
- Supports online/offline mode on the device (queueing)
- An auto-reconnect function for GPRS connections provides virtually uninterrupted connection to the host system.
- Data storage on the device.
- Only user data will be transferred. All data will be compressed ("zipped"), to keep it as small as possible. This can reduce data costs by up to 60%
- Securing transactions between the mobile client and the ERP-system. Each transaction is identified by a transaction-ID which ensures transition of "lost transactions" in case of a communication failure.
- The mobile client mCompanion supports multi language installations. e-switch delivers all applications in English and German by default. Additional languages can be added at any time. The language is automatically detected with no configuration needed.
- Changing the operating system or support for multiple operating systems is supported. Blackberry and WinCE or Windows Mobile and Windows XP can all be used at the same time.
- The maintenance contract for the mCompanion framework includes upgrades for future operating system changes.
Read more about the software at e-switch.ch here.