Some time ago I started working on an app that allows you to create an account and add Windows 10 devices to that account.
This allows you to communicate with the devices and ask info about it. You can do this using Cortana or by using the Info Requester app.
For example on my Surface Book I ask Cortana ‘Info request, what is the battery level of My Phone’. Then my Surface Book will send the request to the phone via my server, and the phone will reply back to the Surface Book again via my server. On the Surface Book a toast notification will show like ‘The battery level of My Phone is 76% ‘.
The phone can be locked and the app doesn’t have to be actively running on any device, so it always works.
- Battery level
- Location (GPS) of your device
- SIM one and two data use
- IPv4 address
- IPv6 address
- Network type
I’m also open to new ideas for new things you would like to be able to do, so let me know if you have an idea. Things to consider:
- It needs to be possible on Windows 10
- It has to work in a background process (when the app is closed), meaning things like taking a screenshot or using the camera to take a picture and sending it back is not possible
- It has to be text based, attachments are not supported by toasts
- Music control is not possible on UWP